Imagine this scenario: your potential customer has stumbled upon your product ad in search. They are eager to know more details about the product. They click on the link and they are redirected to a webpage. In the past, the natural course of action would be for them to fill out a request form, hoping for a timely response. But here is the catch, they need answers now, not hours or days later. Waiting could be an annoyance for them and may encourage them to look for other product options.
For a business owner like you, time is of the essence. The more time you take to respond, there is a high chance of leads slipping through the cracks. So, what are the alternatives to traditional request forms that enable immediate communication the moment they reach out?
Click to Chat ads!
In this blog, let us look into:
- What are click-to-chat ads?
- Facebook Messenger ads
- Benefits of click-to-chat ads
- Facebook Messenger ads in Pepper Cloud CRM
What are click-to-chat ads?
Click-to-chat ads, also called click-to-message ads, are a powerful advertising tool offered by various social media platforms, most notably Facebook. These ads provide an easy and direct way for users to initiate a conversation with a business through messaging platforms like Facebook Messenger. Instead of the traditional "click to website" approach, where users are redirected to a website, Click to Chat ads encourage users to click the ad to start a conversation with the business within the messaging app.
Here's how click-to-chat ads work:
- Ad display: Click to chat ads appear as sponsored content within a user's social media feed or on the platform. They often include a call-to-action button with customised text. It may be "Chat Now" or "Message Us."
- Instant messaging: When a user clicks on the ad, it opens a chat window within the messaging app, allowing them to start a conversation with the business immediately.
- Real-time conversation: Click-to-chat ads facilitate real-time, one-on-one communication between potential customers and businesses. Users can ask questions, seek information, or discuss their needs directly with the business through chat.
- Lead capture: The ads also serve as a lead generation tool, as they enable businesses to capture user information and preferences during the conversation, potentially turning a prospect into a qualified lead. The Click-to-chat ads take the leads down the funnel faster because of real-time and instant interactions.
In essence, click-to-chat ads offer a more personalised and convenient way for businesses to interact with their audience, providing a direct channel for customer inquiries, support, and sales conversations, all within the familiar messaging app environment.
Facebook Messenger ads
Facebook Messenger ads are click-to-chat ads that are set up within the Facebook ecosystem. But why should you consider using it? The answer is simple. Facebook stands as one of the most widely used social media platforms, and it seamlessly integrates its messaging infrastructure with Instagram Direct and WhatsApp. This integration presents a unique opportunity for businesses to select the preferred platform for receiving messages from prospective customers.
However, it is important to note that, within the realm of Facebook Messenger, businesses are bound by certain restrictions. Facebook Messenger doesn't allow businesses to initiate conversations with customers. Instead, the onus falls on the ad viewer or potential customers to take the first step by sending a message to your Facebook page. This acts as message opt-in and the businesses can converse with the leads, eventually converting them into customers.
Benefits of click-to-chat Facebook Messenger ads
Facebook Messenger ads offer a range of benefits for businesses looking to enhance their lead-capture efforts. Here are some of the key advantages:
- Lead generation: The Facebook Messenger ads can capture user information and preferences during the conversation, potentially turning a prospect into a qualified lead. This feature can be invaluable for businesses seeking to expand their customer base.
- Immediate engagement: Click-to-chat ads enable users to initiate a conversation with your business instantly. There is no need to navigate to a separate website or fill out a contact form, making it a quick and convenient way for users to connect with you.
- Real-time communication: These ads facilitate real-time, one-on-one interactions between potential customers and your business. Users can ask questions, seek information, or discuss their needs directly with you, leading to more meaningful and timely conversations.
- Enhanced customer support: Click-to-chat ads can be used to provide customer support. Businesses can address customer inquiries, resolve issues, and offer assistance in real-time, leading to improved customer satisfaction and faster problem resolution.
- Increased engagement: Users are often highly engaged when using messaging apps. Click-to-chat ads take advantage of this engagement, increasing the likelihood of users interacting with your business and, in turn, boosting customer engagement.
- Interactive marketing: You can send images, videos, and interactive content directly to users through the ads. This makes your advertising more engaging and memorable, helping your brand stand out.
- Cost-effective: Click-to-chat ads can be a cost-effective advertising solution. You can set your budget and control your spending, making it accessible for businesses of various sizes.
- User-friendly: Click-to-chat ads offer a user-friendly experience. Users are familiar with messaging apps and find it easy to initiate conversations, reducing barriers to interaction.
- Analytics and insights: You can track the performance of your ads, gaining valuable insights into user engagement, click-through rates, and conversions. This data can inform your marketing strategy and help you optimise your ad campaigns.
- Privacy and permissions: Users initiate conversations voluntarily, giving them control over when and with whom they engage. This can foster a sense of trust and respect for user privacy.
Sign up for CRM blog
Access expert views, insights, and how-to guides of sales management and business growth.
No spam. Unsubscribe anytime.
Facebook Messenger ads tracking in CRM
When a potential customer clicks on the "Send Message" button or the designated Call-to-Action (CTA) in a Facebook Messenger ad, the lead is instantly directed to either Facebook Messenger, Instagram, or WhatsApp, depending on the specific button configuration within the ad. If those channels are integrated with the CRM, the ad tracking details will be captured automatically into the CRM.
Integrating Facebook Messenger ads with a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tool can offer a range of benefits for businesses looking to streamline their customer engagement and lead management processes. Here are some compelling reasons to consider this integration:
- Efficient lead management: Facebook Messenger ads often generate leads or inquiries from potential customers. By integrating with a CRM tool, you can capture these interactions and convert them into leads or contacts with just a click and ensure they are promptly and systematically managed within your CRM system. This avoids the risk of missing opportunities or mishandling valuable leads.
- Lead tracking: This integration enables you to monitor the source of your leads, allowing you to keep tabs on your marketing campaigns and gain insights into which ads are driving results for your business.
- Seamless data capture: A CRM tool with Facebook Messenger ad integration, you can automatically capture lead data and interactions, including contact information and chat history. This eliminates the need for manual data entry, reducing the likelihood of errors and ensuring that customer data is up-to-date.
- Time efficiency: By automating lead capture, data entry, and follow-up tasks with workflow automation, integrating Messenger ads with a CRM can save your team valuable time, allowing them to focus on more strategic and high-impact activities.
Steps for Facebook Messenger lead tracking within CRM
Now, let's explore how to access and monitor leads generated from Facebook Messenger ads directly within your CRM.
- Facebook manager admin credentials
- CRM account admin credentials
- The user must have permission to the Facebook Messenger channel to access the conversations.
1. Integrate the Facebook channel with Pepper Cloud CRM for the Click-to-Facebook Messenger ad; integrate the Instagram channel with Pepper Cloud CRM for the Click-to-Instagram ad; and integrate the WhatsApp channel with Pepper Cloud CRM for the Click-to-WhatsApp ad.
2. Set up a Click-to-message Facebook Messenger ad in Facebook Manager.
3. When a potential customer clicks on the ad and sends a message, the message will be displayed within the CRM, much like the way it appears in Meta Business Suite.
With this, you can see,
- Ad link: This will be displayed in the centre panel of the message module with the link “View Ad”. Upon clicking the ad link, the Facebook Messenger ad opens up and displays the ad details such as video thumbnail, preview, etc.
- Messages: The message sent within the ad by the sender will be visible in the centre panel of the message module.
- Tags: The tags are the ad labels that will be automatically imported into the CRM. These will help you in tracking the ad and will not be editable.
- Activity: It shows the ad link, ad messages, ad thumbnail, time of responding to the ad, and activity details of the message sender.
Converting conversations into leads or contacts
When the business converts a conversation into a lead or contact, the ad details will be transferred to the marketing details section of the record detail page. It contains the following information:
- Campaign name
- Ad set name
- Ad name
- Ad ID
- Marketing Tags
Note: The fields which have the data will be shown in this section.
Filtering records based on tags
The tags are two types: Message tags and Marketing tags.
- Message tags: These are the tags that have been added to the records and conversations manually by the user or businesses. These tags can be modified or deleted by the businesses.
- Marketing tags: These tags are imported to the CRM automatically from click-to-chat ads such as Facebook Messenger ads. These tags are not editable.
In Pepper Cloud CRM, you can filter the conversations based on both types of tags.
Note: You can’t filter leads, contacts, or other records with marketing tags.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How can I find out when this ad was published and identify the source from which the viewer responded to me?
Each time a viewer sends a message through the ad, you will see the ad link prominently displayed in the central panel of the message module. Additionally, you can also see the ad's name and thumbnail in the activity section in the message module.
2. What if I am using web forms to capture leads? How will my marketing efforts be captured?
For web forms, UTM tracking is employed to monitor the lead source and other marketing initiatives. In the case of ad campaigns, specific ad details will be recorded. If a lead is captured manually or if no information is collected, there will be no recorded data.
3. In the event that my potential customer has replied to multiple ads, which ad details will be recorded?
When a potential customer has replied to a message ad and they are converted immediately, the first ad through which the lead was captured will be recorded.
When a potential customer is replying to multiple messages and they are not yet converted, the latest ad on which he/she has responded at the time of converting them as leads or contacts will be captured. However, the activity section in the message module will get updated as per the replies of the client.
4. Can I edit the ad tags that I can see in the Manage tags section?
No, you can’t edit the tags that are automatically captured from Facebook.
5. I am running Ads, but not able to get any messages in CRM. Why?
Check if you have added a “Send Message” button in your ad. Certain specific ads offer the option to include a "Send Message" button within your ad. Messages will be received only when this button is incorporated into your ad.
6. If I delete the ad from which a few conversations were captured into the CRM, will the ad still be visible through the provided ad link?
The business can click on the ad posted on their business page. If the ad does not exist then they will get an error from FB.
7. Which types of ads allow me to prompt viewers to send me a message?
- Sales Ads: Find people who are likely to purchase your product or service. The message button can be created for this Ad
- Lead Ads - Form: The lead will be captured via Social Integration FB Lead Gen Form
- Lead Ads - Messenger: The message button can be created for this Ad
- Engagement Ads: Get more messages, video views, post engagement, Page likes, or event responses. The message button can be created for this Ad
- Traffic Ads: Send people to a destination, such as your website, app, Instagram profile, or Facebook event. Learn more. The message button can be created for this Ad
- App promotion: Find new people to install your app and continue using it. Learn more
- Awareness: Show your ads to people who are most likely to remember them.
8. Why I am not able to see the ad image in the centre panel of the conversation?
This is because you have not configured the welcome message while creating the Facebook Messenger ad.
9. Why aren't welcome messages being shown on Instagram and WhatsApp when a user sends a message to me?
When setting up the Instagram and WhatsApp ads, you may need to look into configuring the welcome message.
- In Instagram, the welcome message allows you to include text, and an Ad preview will be available for your review.
- For WhatsApp, you can enhance the default message with text and emojis, and you'll also have the opportunity to preview the ad content.
10. I've configured a Lead Awareness and Traffic ad with CRM integration, but CRM messages aren't coming through, despite being visible in Meta Business Suite. How do I resolve this issue?
Check if your Facebook Manager to Pepper Cloud CRM. If not, go to “Advanced settings” and connect the app to Pepper Cloud, set up your ad, and create a message template.
11. Why can’t I send messages from CRM when any message comes in via a Facebook ad?
Once a conversation begins and a lead sends a message, you can only send messages from Meta Business Suite until the conversation loop concludes.
12. I'm getting the error: "Message sending failed. To reply manually, use Facebook Meta Business Suite" when I attempt to send a message in a conversation. How to resolve it?
In order to send the messages from CRM, you can make Pepper Cloud as the Primary Receiver.
Click on your business page profile → Settings & Privacy → Setting → New page experience → Advanced messaging → Handover protocol. Now “Configure” the Messenger & Instagram settings
13. Why can't I find the automation questions I configured in my ad within the CRM?
The CRM does not display automated messages such as greetings, welcome messages, questions, completion messages, disqualifications, or promo codes. However, it does capture and store the responses received.
14. What Ad ID and Ad Name will be displayed on the marketing section detail page?
The last details or tags used to convert the lead or contact will be transferred to the Marketing section detail page.
15. Why are Adset ID, Ad name, and tags not visible in WhatsApp ad conversations?
The Adset name, Ad ID, and marketing tags are not supported for WhatsApp ad conversations.
16. Why am I not getting the lead summary in the CRM?
If a user skips the "phone number" question in any of the Lead & Traffic campaigns, Meta will not provide the lead summary.
17. What happens if I've blocked messages from the lead?
The business has the option to block or stop communication with any lead. Messages from the blocked lead will not be visible in the CRM or Meta Business Suite. Also, the message history will not be restored even after unblocking the lead.
18. Why am I encountering this error message when attempting to send a message from CRM: "The chat is currently under Messenger control while the user is engaged in an automated question and answer flow. Please wait for the flow to complete before attempting to send a message."
You are receiving the error because the client hasn't completed the loop or skipped some of the questions in the loop. In such a case, the conversation thread will be controlled by the Messenger and you will be able to send a message from CRM only after 30 minutes of receiving the latest client's message.
If you need more help with this feature, feel free to talk to our friendly representatives.